Sunday, May 2, 2010

Seriously, watch these movies.

I'm going to preface this by saying that I don't consider myself to be anything resembling an expert of film. I wouldn't even dare to call myself a movie-phile, or whatever the correct term is and damnit why does my cat insist on cuddling the second he sees my laptop emerge?! He ignores me all day until the laptop comes out, then it's all cold-wet nose rubbies and head butting and trying to help me type. Bleh. I love him to death, but oh mylanta is it annoying. Anyways. My cat is always making me digress. I'm going to digress even further because I am re-watching the first season of the re-vamped "Doctor Who" series. I was confused as to whether or not it's really the first season, and according to Wikipedia, it counts as the first season even though it's kind of a continuation. Anyways, for anyone reading this, it's the season with the Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston).
My point, whenever I can get to it, is that companion Billie Piper's mascara is so damned clumpy that I can't focus on anything being said for the first few seconds she appears on screen. I seem to remember that it gets better as the series goes on, but in the first season, it's bloody awful. I refuse to believe that the entire country of Britain was lacking in non-clumping mascara, and even if it was, there exists such a thing as a lash comb. It's nice. It prevents clumpies.
I'd also like to mention that while Ms. Piper is by no means "fat", she is also not the size 0 starlet I, as a habitual American TV viewer, am so accustomed to seeing. I'd like to applaud the BBC for realizing that it's okay to hire girls with a little wiggle in their step (and again, Billie Piper does not have much, but it's enough to make me feel better).
It seems to me that when Hollywood (I'm using the term to refer to the film/television industry at large) casts females, they are either size 0 or plus size. And I would appreciate it if the size 0 cast member pulled a Dodo-bird. It seems that even size 6 is too big for movies/TV (I cite "The Devil Wears Prada", in which the main character is teased for being a monstrous size 6 - she's in the fashion industry, which is intricately connected to media of various forms, so it counts).
Anyways. I know I'm not the first person to comment on this, and I won't be the last, but here's my two cents: size 6 and up is A-OK in my book. Anything smaller is seriously bullshit and I refuse to believe that there are so many women who are naturally that thin. Yeah, I could get that thin, "naturally", if by that you mean, "Throwing up all my food made me super-skinny, NATURALLY!!". Hee. There's a pterodactyl/dragon on "Doctor Who" eating wedding guests, which is exactly how I've always envisioned my wedding day - locked in a church whilst fending off a pack of pseudo-dinosaurs. Ho-boy I've really gotten off track. I'd heard... somewhere... that costumers/designers prefer skinny actresses because they're easier to dress, or because the clothes look better, and on fashion shoots the sample sizes are very very small. My response to the designer: design clothes that aren't fucking ridiculous and anyone will look good in them, because guess what? The women who are buying your designs are probably not going to be 6 feet tall and weigh 100 pounds and your offerings are not going to look good and that really should reflect just as badly on you as it does on them, but I've noticed that people put the blame on the women's figure if something looks bad (which is sometimes the case - women with large shoulders should never wear shoulder pads, for example). But seriously, design clothing that the average woman can wear. For the costumers, what the hell? Are you buying cloth to make each garment and are therefore concerned about keeping total yardage down? Because that's the only reason I can understand why smaller actresses/smaller clothes make sense. For fashion shoots, same reasoning: are you sending the smallest article of clothing hoping to be able to use the smallest box and save money on postage??? What. The. Fuck.
Beautiful plus size women exist. Martine McCutcheon, a.k.a. Natalie from "Love, Actually", is probably one of the most beautiful women on the planet. And she's a bit larger than her cast-mate Keira "Why-The-Hell-Don't-I-Fix-My-Underbite" Knightley.
I'm going to cut myself off now, because like a good tequila, bitching about the rarity of a healthy looking actress in Hollywood is something from which I have trouble refraining.
This post was titled "Seriously, watch these movies". So, seriously, watch these movies: "The Fall", "The Man From Earth", "Princess Mononoke", "Le Planete Sauvage" and "Camille". The last one is, admittedly, kind of trite, but it's entertaining, or at least it was for me. "The Fall" is, for me, almost without flaws. I can't speak about that movie highly enough. I watched it at least once a day, every day, for a month straight once. It's amazing. "The Man From Earth" is on occasion hampered by mediocre acting... actually, the acting is pretty sub-par from most of the actors throughout most of the movie, although it does have a pretty prominent "Hey! It's That Guy!" (tm TWOP) in it. The story is fascinating, however, which is pretty much the only reason I've sat through this movie at least 30 times. The last three are vastly different, and I've run on far too long, so suffice it to say that they are all definitely worth checking out, in case anyone happens to find themselves in the unfortunate position of having nothing to watch on a particular evening. I've told anyone and everyone I know about the genius of "The Fall", and now it seems to me that they have trouble refraining from rolling their eyes when it comes up, so you, online audience, are my new target.
Very. Last. Thing. "The Empty Child" and "Blink" are seriously some of the creepiest television I've ever seen in my life. The first one is because I'd be terrified by a child following me around bleating the word "Mommy" over and over. The second one is because well... it really just is. Check it out sometime. It has Carey Mulligan in it, and she has long hair and looks way prettier than she did at this year's Oscars! Anyone, anyone??

3 comments:

  1. watch movies is the best way to entertain yourself. this blog provide to Watch movies online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crist, Gill! You wouldn't happen to be a spamatron, now would you? This blog may provide to Watch movies online, but all your base is belong to me, so there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Beautiful plus size women exist"

    HELLO Living Proof!!!

    ReplyDelete